Wednesday, September 19, 2007

DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR

In addition to meeting with Margaret Thatcher and Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Rudy Giuliani, in London today, will do a photo op with Winston Churchill's granddaughter.

*****

May I just say something here? When I went back to work in Manhattan on September 12, 2001, I didn't do it because I was stirred to the depths by the profound words and manly presence of Rudy Giuliani. I did it because I had work to do, my office was miles north of Ground Zero and was unaffected by the attacks, my trip to work was no more difficult than it had been before, and what the hell else was I going to do with myself?

There was 9/11 and then there was the brief anthrax moment. Giuliani didn't see us through a war or waves of Luftwaffe attacks on our homes. With Giuliani as mayor, we got on with our lives -- which is precisely what we'd have done if the mayor had been anyone else.

No comments: