Wednesday, December 10, 2008

TALK RADIO: MAKING PEOPLE STUPIDER

Obviously I don't expect stunning flashes of insight when Glenn Beck invites Joe the Plumber to be a guest on his radio show, but, um, you'd think Beck -- who works for CNN and will soon work for Fox News -- might at least be well informed enough about politics, his alleged area of expertise, to realize that Hillary doesn't want to hold two government jobs simultaneously ... wouldn't you?

GLENN: ... I will tell you this in talking to one of my guys who's deep in the Constitution, he's saying that she can't have two offices. That's the problem. She can't occupy the two offices and then two different branches, but it's kind of iffy on that. It's not really clear. And if she gets rid of her office, then it should be fine. But she couldn't be a senator and Secretary of State. That's the real problem there.

JOE THE PLUMBER: Oh, yeah.

GLENN: You would still have a problem with that?

JOE THE PLUMBER: No, I wouldn't. You know, I have no problem with her being -- well, I don't want to say that. I mean, you know, will ultimately she become Secretary of State? I don't question that. It's just the fact that I believe I was watching Hannity and Colmes. You know, they had one of their guys on there saying that they will get around it and it will be okay. That's the problem I have is the fact that, you know, if the Constitution gets in the way, they will have a lawyer or judge get around it. Kind of like God in their country. Gosh, it's hard following them, we'll get around it. We'll just take this part of the Bible out because it's hard. They are always looking to get around something, you know? Life is not easy, and to be a good person you've got to work hard at it. And people just want to kind of get around it and, you know, it's just not -- that's not the moral fiber that this country was built on.


The horrible, evil, sinister, playing-God evasion of the Constitution that Joe is complaining about was, of course, used when Taft appointed Senator Philander T. Knox to be secretary of state, when Nixon chose Senator William Saxbe as attorney general, when Carter appointed Senator Edmund Muskie as secretary of state, and when Clinton made Senator Lloyd Bentsen his treasury secretary. The so-called Saxbe fix simply requires resetting the salary of the Cabinet office to what it was prior to the appointee's House or Senate term.

****

Oh, and a conversation like this wouldn't be complete without someone playing the Nazi card, right?

GLENN: Okay. What do you think is coming our way if things don't change in Washington? What do you think's -- where are we headed?

JOE THE PLUMBER: Well, I mean, you know, I'm not comparing anybody. You know, I don't want you to stir up a hornet's nest here but, you know, when Adolf Hitler had come to power, one of the first things he did was take guns away. You know, we're a country that doesn't really listen to history. Let me go that route....


Oh, and Joe was "appalled" when McCain decided to support an effort to stave off a global financial meltdown -- the bill had pork in it! Such a bill would never have been signed by Joe's hero, Sarah Palin -- she's too darn sincere!

JOE THE PLUMBER: ... You know, with Sarah Palin, I don't want to say I felt a presence but she definitely had energy and she definitely went to work for American people, and it disgusts me on how often they try to bash her just for her sincerity. It's just, you know, she really wants to work for America and I mean, I wish people would listen to her and let them, and let her work for us. You know, she wants to serve us. She's not looking for power.

I bet she told you that herself, didn't she, Joe?

No comments: