Monday, October 04, 2010

I DON'T THINK "CLASSIFIED" MEANS WHAT CHRISTINE O'DONNELL THINKS IT DOES
(updated)


You probably know already that Christine O'Donnell also ran for Senate in 2006, and said in a debate that year that the ChiComs were planning to take over America:

She said China had a "carefully thought out and strategic plan to take over America" and accused one opponent of appeasement for suggesting that the two countries were economically dependent and should find a way to be allies.

"That doesn't work," she said. "There's much I want to say. I wish I wasn't privy to some of the classified information that I am privy to."

... When her opponent challenged her claim about having secret information, O'Donnell suggested she had received it through nonprofit groups she worked with that frequently sent missionaries there.


Um, I don't think "classified information" is the expression Ms. O'Donnell was looking for. I think the term she wants is "some stuff that somebody told me that you guys haven't heard." I think she may think the word for that actually is "classified."

And I don't necessarily think this is her being flaky (as I do with so many of her other entertaining soundbites). I have a born-again relative who rarely talks politics but does occasionally mention missionary pals spreading Christianity in countries where they're not welcomed with open arms. I could imagine this family member saying something sinister and similarly far-fetched about one of the countries where her missionary friends are working, based on something she'd heard from one of them. But my relative would know better than to say the information was "classified." That's because my relative knows how to use the English language properly.

****

This new O'Donnell story kinda buries the story of O'Donnell's new warm-fuzzy TV ad:

“I'm not a witch," Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell assures voters....

"I'm nothing you've heard," O'Donnell continues in the 30-second spot ... "I'm you."

... "None of us are perfect, but none of us can be happy with what we see all around us," she says. "Politicians who think spending, trading favors and back-room deals are the ways to stay in office. I'll go to Washington and do what you'd do."

...In the ad's finale, O'Donnell repeats one of her opening lines: "I'm you."


I think what surprises me about this ad is that the repeated line -- "I'm you" -- seems not to be a dog whistle. You'd think it might be aimed strictly at her base of support -- I'm you, not them, meaning evil liberals. Obviously she's saying she's not a pol, but who doesn't say that? I'm looking for some language that suggests she's trying to say, I'm the sane one, we're the sane ones, and the elitist establishment atheist Marxist fascists are the crazy ones -- but I don't think it's there. I think this might be a more effective ad if that were there, if the ad had a Palinesque sense of persecution. But I think it's just what it seems to be -- an attempt to wipe the slate clean and say, "I'm perfectly normal! Really. So heck, you oughta vote for me!" It's way too late for that. O'Donnell can't pretend she's just Jane Average looking to go to Washington. So I think the ad fails.



****

AND: Jon Perr notes that, in the ad, O'Donnell seems to be channeling ... Linda Tripp.

****

ALSO: I see that Robert Stacy McCain watched the ad and is seeing starbursts. And more starbursts. In the past he's written:

"[C]onservatives in Delaware have the benefit of backing an indisputably telegenic candidate. O'Donnell ... has the kind of 100-watt smile that lights up a room."

Now he writes:

What Did I Tell You About Her?

... With a smile like that, she's awfully hard to hate.

... She may not be a witch, but you can't deny she's got magic.


Yikes. He seems to be embracing the witch thing -- and given the magical thinking that dominates right-wing discourse, on taxes and most other issues, maybe "Yeah, I'm a witch" is the direction she should've gone in. McCain links (and clearly digs) this poster, from the righty blog No Sheeples Here (click to enlarge):


TBogg says she seems to be running for "Princess Senator Most Adorable of Delaware Sparkle Pony," and R.S. McCain's response appears to be "Exactly! Ain't she swell?"

On the other hand, Ladd Ehlinger Jr., the ad guy behind the crazy Dale Peterson ad and other red-meat campaign spots, hates the O'Donnell spot, as he's pointed out in a long series of recent tweets. He notes that this O'Donnell ad was made by the same person who made Carly Fiorina's "Demon Sheep" ad. And he offers the best explanation for the ad's failure:

Ever say that to anyone? Last person said that to me, I stepped away from quickly.... "I'm normal, and can be trusted."

Yup. Exactly right.

And then there's a third righty opinion, from Ace of Spades:

Not bad. She has a useful amount of sadness in her, of whippedness, that pushes the right emotional button. She was beaten up -- hard not feel sympathetic for someone beaten up.

Oh, so it's emo. Well, then she should have gone all the way -- via makeup, hair (in eyes), etc. No pearls.

No comments: