Thursday, November 10, 2011

GIVEN HIS VOTER BASE, WHY DID CAIN APOLOGIZE FOR SAYING "PRINCESS NANCY"?

I know, I know: If you're a sane, rational person, that was an offensive remark, and a sexist one at that. But think about Cain's intended audience: these are wingnuts we're talking about. Do you think they care? Oh, sure, they were the big feminists when Democrats were choosing Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton, at which they suddenly discovered feminism (a conversion-of-convenience that was reinforced by John McCain's decision to put Sarah Palin on the ticket). But Nancy Pelosi? Come on -- do you think calling her "Princess Nancy" is going to upset people who find this kind of thing amusing?





Or this?




Or this?




(UPDATE: Or, via Charlie Pierce and Amanda Terkel, this?)

I'm surprised he's not fundraising off this. If I were aiming for the angry-base GOP vote, I would be. That's not offensive to these people -- that's a home run. Even the ones who think they support feminism (if only of the Sarah Palin/Liz Cheney variety) think Pelosi is a subhuman monster rather than a woman. They feel about her the way movie audiences felt about Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction.

Cain, of course, is reacting to this in his usual fashion -- by backing away from the remark, then backing away from backing away. (Cf. his electrified border fence double reverse.) First he walked it back:

After Wednesday night's GOP debate on CNBC, candidate Herman Cain was asked about ... his decision to refer to Nancy Pelosi as "Princess Nancy."

"Princess Nancy," asked CNBC's Carl Quintanilla, "in referring to Speaker Pelosi... Why go there, why refer to her that way given the controversy surrounding you and women? Do you not feel like that was trying to start to juggle when you’re already having to unicycle?"

Cain responded:
Well, I wouldn't put it in those terms. That was a statement that I probably should not have made, but I was trying to make a point.


And now he doubles back:

But by the time this morning rolled around, Cain decided he'd had enough with pretending that he regretted what he'd said.
"You know, I remember when Speaker Pelosi called me and the tea party people AstroTurf," he said. "I don't remember anybody asking about that story."

Message to the wingers: (1) Herman Cain is you! (2) Herman Cain is the real victim here! Yeah, that ought to be good for at least a million-dollar money bomb. Two mil if he uses a picture of Pelosi with green skin and a pointy hat.

*****

By the way, while we're busy crowning Mitt Romney, did you see the latest Quinnipiac swing state poll? Florida: Cain 27, Romney 21%. Ohio: Cain 25%, Romney 20%. Pennsylvania: Cain 17%, Romney 17%. Hold the coronation....

2 comments:

the bewilderness said...

From time to time it crosses his mind that the adage about when you are standing in a hole, stop digging, is good, but then he does remember who he is talking to and goes back to in for a penny in for a pound.
I think his brain is chock full of slogans and adages and marketing lingo. That is the impression I get when he speaks.

Unknown said...

We need healthcare reform in this nation. I live and work in New Hampshire providing assisted living in Warner NH and I can truly say that I have my finger on the pulse when it comes to healthcare needs in my state. It would be nice to see a candidate who really cares about implementing health reform.